Monday, May 7, 2012

Girls

I was ready to light Lena Dunham's show in effigy. But it's growing on me in engagement. There are some flaws, namely all the male characters and the Zosia Mamet character. But it's depiction of young 20s females and the small details of their lifestyle seems truthful with a warts and all mentality (i.e. ugly, narcissistic behavior) and her performance, surprisingly, is heartfelt ("I just want someone, who wants to hang out all the time, and thinks I'm the best person in the world, and wants to have sex with only me." )

Man, she's getting some unwarranted backlash. I don't even know if this comment (from NPR's Fresh Air interview comments section) is in earnest, or peppered in sarcasm.


Why isn't there Hmong representation on the show? Does Dunham believe the Hmong experience isn't a valid take on being young and female in America, and in New York City, in 2012? It's a glaring omission in the episodes that have aired thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment