Friday, July 4, 2014

Patriotism

"I guess before we left the U.S., since this is the last night in the U.S...(U.S.A. chant breaks out)...This is a toast...
I guess I just wanted to clarify that whatever we said, whatever we said tonight, whatever we said in the other cities, we have an opinion, and it comes from a position of caring.
And it comes from a position of caring for our country. And I think that's what makes you a patriot. It's when you care for our country, when you care. And you just don't care for the country, it's the people in it. We got great oceans, mountains, canyons, cities...but it's the people in it that make up this country. 
And we know you've been through a lot and I think when you care about that, that makes you a patriot.
And it's not necessarily about victory, it's not necessarily about corporations, and what's good for them, it's not about money, it's about the people.
So when we leave this country, I want you to know...I guess we just hope that you're proud of us when we leave here & take our songs abroad. We hope we have your support, and we hope that you're proud of us for having an opinion, and a stand... Thank you very much."

--Eddie Vedder  (Holmdel, July 14th, 2003) -- encore break before going into 'Growin' Up' by Bruce Springsteen.

No comments:

Post a Comment