Thursday, January 23, 2014

Chicago Cub # 31

Professor Maddux does right again.

It was seen as a given that Greg Maddux would go into the Hall of Fame wearing the cap of the Atlanta Braves, the team for which he spent the most time and had the most success.

But the Hall announced Thursday that Maddux’s plaque will have no logo, a small but telling victory for the Cubs, who let the four-time Cy Young Award winner leave as a free agent in his prime.  
Of the six new inductees into the Hall, only Maddux and Tony La Russa will go in without a logo on their plaques.
“My wife Kathy and I grew up in baseball in Chicago, and then we just had an amazing experience in Atlanta with the Braves,” Maddux said in a statement.  “It’s impossible for me to choose one of those teams for my Hall of Fame plaque, as the fans of both clubs in each of those cities were so wonderful.
“I can’t think of having my Hall of Fame plaque induction without support of both of those fan bases, so, for that reason, the cap on my Hall of fame plaque will not feature a logo.”
"I spent half my career in Chicago and half my career in Atlanta," he said. I came up a Cub, played there for six years and went back for three more. I was in Atlanta for 11 years. It comes out to about the same amount of time in both cities.
"Love both places. Obviously, I feel like I had more success as a Brave. We did get a World Series there. But I came up a Cub. For me, I couldn't pick. I really couldn't. Both places mean so much to me personally and my family. I'm going to go in as neutral, I guess."


No comments:

Post a Comment